Some years ago my father purchased a vineyard and converted it from flood to drip irrigation. The entire farm (approx. 40 acres) had (and still has) a sub-surface drainage system, which ‘compensated’ for the previous owners over-watering practices (while destroying soil on a portion of the land where this multiply wasted water was pumped to). My father tells me that this drainage system is appox. 3-4 feet under the ground, spaced approx. 15 metres apart.
Long story short my father eventually took an exit grant from the government a number of years ago, which still prohibits the block from being irrigated for at least another two years.
Nothing is being produced on the farm now apart from weeds. I have my kids this weekend so we went out and tried to familiarise ourselves with the weeds on a particular ‘block’ (which is similar to the rest). We found spiney burgrass, bindy eyes/cat heads and half a dozen other weeds.
I’m attempting to explore permaculture options for this particular block, which is located close to the house. This farm has been mentioned in previous threads/conversations on this forum and dispite my situation, I feel that I will at the least learn something about permaculture if I explore some options.
So I’m asking for any advice or processes to aid this learning curve. A whole farm plan was conducted some years ago so I have a lot of information, most meaningless to me at this time but could be of benefit to anyone giving assistance.
The section I have been given access to is 0.67Ha and was previously planted to black muscat grapes.
There is a sub main running along the east (channel) side, with a value in NE corner of this section. I have tried to find information about channel easements from Goulbourn Murray Water but have been unsuccessful on initial search.
The land is relatively flat, although has been surveyed to reveal some variation. The driveway is elevated, as is the land leading to the house.
Here's a pic (hopefully), I can also upload or give any information that you may require.