View Full Version : Working with the council ?
29-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Myself and a couple of other town members, are thinking of putting a montion to the local shire. Basiclly what it is, is sort of like the "Adopt a Highway" program which saw different groups look after parts of highways leading into and from town centres.. What we wish to propoes is the same sort of thing but on parts of the town. Such as the median strip (which is quite large in our town) and corner blocks which are government land. Our town is quite small, (pop 180 approx) so this sort of project isn't out of reach...
Has anyone had any experience with dealing with the council on such matters ?
29-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Insurance will be your biggest worry, I would think. But hopefully being a community type thingy the council will get right behind you, and others might jump on the 'bandwagon' so to speak. Bigger things have had to start somewhere...it might catch on!
29-09-2005, 01:37 PM
A little more info on a proposal..
- Due to the small shires being joined with the larger townships, we don't seem to have the 'man power' now for things like Lawns being mowed, public bins emptied, general tidiness of government land. All the money and resources are used to make the larger towns better (Horsham in our case) and the small communities in the out lying areas don't see much benefit from their rates.
- Having said that, we still have Govt. land that needs to be taken care of, other wise things like the median strip in the main street don't get mowed months at a time.. Hence certain groups around town have indicated that they would be able to spend an hour or so a week on a roster system within their own organisation to do things to their alocated area of town..
- With this participation we anticipate that the groups will also take an active role in their area, and continue to maintain and improve the area. Especially in the way of water saving gardens rather than grass etc.
Groups we can call on include.
- CFA (Country Fire Auth)
- RME (Rupanyup Major Events, Once Jaycees- RME organise the 'Barley Banquet once a year end of Oct, do a google on it)
- Scouts and Guides
- Rupanyup Football and Netball club
- Golf Club
- Various farming groups.
- Lions Club
- Primary School / Kindergarden
30-09-2005, 01:49 AM
I have recently volountered to help our shire thru the shire CEO and Lancare guy. All though there responce was sorta positive..
I ve decided to do it myself...I can work/think/plan 24/7 other people who arnt a strong as you will only give their %...The time wasted on commitees,fund raising worker chasing ,Insurence is a thing that puts most councils off..They just dont see it,care about. I dont waste my time anymore,My gardens are ful. next the vacant blocks im surrounded by.I watched Bill plant seeds on the Global gardener videos, planting seed in bare spots, waste land,and any bare spots ,well theres plenty of them in most country towns.It is now my task to rehabilitate my town weather they like it or not.If we wait for our leaders to make a moove ,weell be waiting till doomsday...
I encourage all of you/us to plant more trees...Not seedlings but Seeds
Billions of em, everywhere, we should be sowing seeds....Why is seed sowing so sucsessfull because its had a few million years to get it right...
Good Luck to you!!!
01-10-2005, 10:28 AM
...but don't sow weeds, because you'll damage this country, we're just keeping our head above water...
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.1.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.